Polka Dot Ponies

This will most likely be just a collection of my ramblings. I ride and train horses, so there is bound to be a lot of horse stuff. But I also just like to vent and this seems the perfect place.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Lovely Margo and 4-H safety talk

I rode her tonight! I lunged her for a bit and then just got on and walked around and am still totally in love with her! She was so good. We worked on leg pressure, neck reining, whoa (which is stellar) and backing. I didn't ride long since I had already lunged her and she hasn't really been worked in about 2 1/2 years. Mace was good though I am NOT a fan of trying to lunge with him in the arena. Most days he ignores us and goes off on his own and plays a little but today he decided her would follow mama along the whole time. He was puffing a little at the end as well!
Quick question- If you could tell people one thing about safety with and around horses what would it be? The leader of the 4-H group called tonight and asked if I would be willing to speak at their meeting tomorrow. I said sure and already knew that the first thing I would talk about is safety. It drives me CRAZY when I go anywhere there are horse people and kids are wandering around barefoot or parents are letting kids sit on horses tied to the trailer (with no helmet and no shoes most of the time). I even had a kid reach through the arena fence one time and try to grab my horse's leg while we were cantering down the rail. Of course said kid's mom was no where to be seen and I had to slam on the breaks to not snap off the kid's arm (there was a horse to my inside). Good old Scottie had amazing breaks and we didn't even touch the kid but then we got rear ended by one of those people that NEVER take their eyes off the judge, "LOOK WHERE YOU ARE GOING!"
Anyway- My biggest thing with all of my lesson kids and anyone that rides with me is safety- which means a HELMET first and foremost!
What are your biggest safety pet peeves when it comes to horses?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

People who are unfamiliar with horses (adults or children) often treat them like big dogs - they need to understand that horses are large prey animals and that even the kindest gentlest horse can seriously hurt you if it is startled or frightened. Helmets are part of reasonable self-protection. Experienced horsepeople can forget these things too!

March 14, 2010 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

Helmets #1 without a doubt.

After that, I have to agree with Kate. People can get really careless when they forget that a horse is a horse.

Oh, how to tie a horse safely--right length of rope and safety release knot. How about safety halters for turnout?

And always....keep an eye out for all the places and situations where a horse can get hurt, because if it's there, chances are the horse will find it.

March 14, 2010 at 9:29 PM  
Blogger Nicku B said...

Agree with Jean. PAY ATTENTION! It's easy to get sidetracked or *gasp* lazy around our horses. Other than that, dont be afraid to ask questions when you need help and dont try to overface yourself or your horse...take everything in time, in stride.

March 14, 2010 at 9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home