Polka Dot Ponies

This will most likely be just a collection of my ramblings. I ride and train horses, so there is bound to be a lot of horse stuff. But I also just like to vent and this seems the perfect place.

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Broken hearted dog.

So today was a good day. Though my computer is annoying me because as I attempt to type this a security center warning continues to pop up every 30 seconds or so.
Anyway I judged the 4-H fun show and enjoyed that. It is fun to judge and teach/give pointers at the same time. I actually may have gotten 2 new training horses and 3 new lesson kids out of it as well! All in all that went well.

Titan was yet again amazing. We worked on ground tying and he was lovely. He listens very well to voice commands and I would stop him, tell him to whoa and then continue to walk without him. He was very concerned at first and would take about a half step forward. I would again say whoa and he would move that one foot back into it's original position. He does this funny head tilt thing (I will try for a picture) when he is confused almost like he is asking 'Why do you want me to do that?' and I got a lot of that today. However by the end of our session he would halt and stay put (without trying to graze) with me wandering around the arena for about 2 minutes. Which is like years in baby time I think. Actually not following me like a puppy was hard for him I think. I was quite proud of him. This exercise also reinforced his vocal commands for whoa and no, as every time he attempted to graze I just shortly said No and then I would get the 'Why Mama?' head tilt but he would bring his head back up. After that we did a short longe line session working on our trot/walk transitions. He did fine but continues to cut in towards me a bit when going to the right but never the left, we are working on that and it is getting better but if you have any suggestions feel free to comment!

Haven't talked to Boyfriend since Wednesday. He is currently working two jobs to save up to move over here to finish school and is working about 50-60 hours a week. Then top that off with the 6 hour time difference when he is off work then either he is sleeping or I am sleeping or working. I think I am going to just have him call when I am asleep and I will wake up for it because I am really missing him! Oh yes! His plane ticket is booked and he will arrive Dec. 1st!

Also my friend from Australia will be here in just over 2 weeks! I can't wait to see her. She worked with me at the summer camp I taught at out in NY and I haven't seen her in just over a year though we talk often. She doesn't know this yet but we are going to be teaching a clinic together for the 4-H club while she is here (this was just decided today). One of my lesson girls was asking me if they even have horses in Australia. Kids are so cute.

Fun days. Oh yes I wanted to ask-

My brittany spaniel, Tess, is a mess still over losing her buddy Tucker a week ago. She panics whenever I go to the car thinking I am going to disappear and has been running errands with me all week just because I feel bad leaving her at home with just the cats and horses. She whines at the door and runs outside to his spot under one of the trees in the front yard (this is actually where he died). Then whines and runs back to the door. She will do this for hours straight. This is the first time she has even been an 'only dog' as Tucker was 5 when we got her. He and she were always together and I just don't think she knows what to do with herself! I feel so terrible because she seems so upset and I can't even explain to her what happened ! Any suggestions to help with a heart broken dog?

Tess the now Lone Ranger.

Below are the original 3 Musketeers

Bailey, Tess and Tucker

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

Oh my. A lot in your post.

No help with the brokenhearted dog except to actually sit down with her and explain everything, trying hard to visualize your words into pictures. Then, each time you go out, assure her you will be back and give her a time line. Tell her where you are going and what you are going to do. That is what an animal communictator would have you do.

No idea about the Thunder thing except to hope the girl only breaks and arm and not something more serious. Some people need to learn by experience. A is really ignorant of the danger and will admit it until something happens. *eeek*

For the lunging with Titan, you need to use both frim body language and your whip. Titan probably tends to fall in at the same point on the circle each time. You need to anticipate that. When he is on the right rein, hold your whip in your left hand and the line in your right. Just before he starts to fall in, flick or point the whip towards his shoulder and neck and kind of lunge forward with your body thinking..."I am going to drive him out, away from me." At the same time, add the command, "Out, out."

It takes a bit of practice and repetition, but Titan seems to be the kind of guy who really wants to please so he should figure it out pretty quickly.

October 5, 2008 at 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home