Polka Dot Ponies

This will most likely be just a collection of my ramblings. I ride and train horses, so there is bound to be a lot of horse stuff. But I also just like to vent and this seems the perfect place.

Monday, October 6, 2008

Water For Elephants: A Novel

Water For Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen was recomended to me by my best friend. When she recomended it I bought it and then it sat on my shelf for quite a while. I just kept thinking 'a book about the circus? Seriously Tada?' I just couldn't bring my self to read a book about the circus when there were so many fabulous books out there that I couldn't wait to read. Well I took Water For Elephants: A Novel with me on vacation. While sitting by the pool for 4 days I managed to read 3 books. So for the plane ride home all I had left was Water For Elephants: A Novel. I had it almost finished by the time we got home and finished it within the next few days. I LOVED IT! It has everything a great book needs! Drama, pain, romance and suprise. Great Book! Would reccomend it to anyone!
"As a young man, Jacob Jankowski was tossed by fate onto a rickety train that was home to the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. It was the early part of the great Depression, and for Jacob, now ninety, the circus world he remembers was both his salvation and a living hell. A veterinary student just shy of a degree, he was put in charge of caring for the circus menagerie. It was there that he met Marlena, the beautiful equestrian star married to August, the charismatic but twisted animal trainer. And he met Rosie, an untrainable elephant who was the great gray hope for this third-rate traveling show. The bond that grew among this unlikely trio was one of love and trust, and, ultimately, it was their only hope for survival."

Note: Sara Gruen also wrote 2 lovely books with horses in them. They are called Riding Lessons: A Novel and Flying Changes: A Novel. I really enjoyed both of those books as well.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

Now if I could only finish reading the several books I have started....Love a good book with animals as part of the plot. These all sound good. Thanks for the recommendation.

How soon is the nursing exam? Are you going to have to bone up after your travels or are you all set?

October 7, 2008 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger Polka Dot Ponies said...

I haven't set a date for my NCLEX yet. I just recieved all the stuff in the mail yesterday. I need to send that in then they will send me my ATT (admit to test) and then I can set up a time to take it. I am studying hard!! I am thinking it may be good to take a review class before I take it as well. I will keep you posted and I am sure that come closer to the time of the exam I will have many panic filled posts!

October 7, 2008 at 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home