Polka Dot Ponies

This will most likely be just a collection of my ramblings. I ride and train horses, so there is bound to be a lot of horse stuff. But I also just like to vent and this seems the perfect place.

Thursday, November 27, 2008

No dice.

So it has been quite a while since I have put up a Titan post. I have been working with him it is just that nothing significant worth a post happened- until last night. So as you may recall back in October we had to put a wire in Titan's jaw to try and save several of his teeth. It looked like he had been chewing on the chain that holds the gate closed and got one tooth stuck then jerked back and did a lot of damage. So we had to put in a wire that went through his top jaw and around his front teeth- think of it like a yearling with braces.
So anyway the wire was to come of in mid November but since 2 of the teeth were still quite loose we decided to leave it for another 3 or 4 weeks, with me checking it every day, in hopes that those teeth would become more solid. Last night I went out to feed and everything seemed normal until I went to feed Titan. The wire had somehow been pulled down over his teeth so it was just a loop of wire going into his jaw. Obviously if he were to get that caught on anything he would have done even more major damage. I called vet but he was unable to make it out until this morning. I contemplated calling the other vet in town but he doesn't know much about horses in my opinion and I would worry that he would make it worse. So I decide that I need to at least cut the wire so that it is no longer a loop and then twist the ends so they aren't pointy. Easier said than done. Neighbor and T come out to hold Titan while I cut the wire and in many attempts to bend the ends I was not overly successful. At least for the night there was no danger of him getting caught on anything and the ends were short enough that he would not be able to poke himself.
Vet came out this morning, he sedated Titan and checked things out. It turns out that even with our best attempts we were unable to save 2 of his front teeth. Vet had to pull those teeth out. The only good news is that Vet doesn't think Titan had much use of those teeth since they were just being held tight with the wire and he has been keeping his weight really well. Which is saying something because he seems to be in the middle of a growth spurt as well.
Now it is just a waiting game as we won't know if we successfully secured his jaw to support his adult teeth until he is 3 or 4 years old. For right now he is happy to have his 'braces' off and is sleeping off his sedation in his stall.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

My goodness. Just goes to show the world that horse owners have to be very adaptable, and very capable in many different ways--including veterinary.

Horses always seem to find a way to get themselves in trouble. I'd read about Titan's "braces" before, but I didn't know the whole story.

If he's been eating fine without those teeth's being solid, he should thrive without them.

But I just can't help this....sorry, Titan says, "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth." *does he sing??*

Glad the vet got out the next day to take out the rest of the loose wire. That would be worrying me. Hopefully, his adult teeth in the rest of his mouth will grow in just fine and he will turn out to be a robust, perfect horse for you. Babies so well cared for and loved nearly always do!

November 28, 2008 at 8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home